Founded in 1988 under the name France Telecom, Orange is a telecommunications company and the eleventh-largest mobile network operator in the world with 89,000 employees in France and 59,000 in other countries. It is also the fourth largest operator in Europe.
The company’s CEO is Stéphane Richard. Other team members include Ramon Fernandez, Delegate Chief Executive Officer of Finance Performance, Europe; Gervais Pellissier, Delegate Chief Executive Officer, Group Transformation Chairman of Orange Business Services; and Fabienne Dulac, Deputy Chief Executive Officer and Chief Executive Director of Orange France.
Which companies has Orange sponsored?
- From 2000 to 2002, Orange was a major sponsor of British Formula One team Arrows.
- Orange was the sponsor for UEFA Euro 2012 and UEFA Euro 2016.
- The company was the official jersey sponsor of the national basketball teams of the Central African Republic and Senegal at the 2015 FIBA Africa Championship.
- Orange was the kit sponsor of the French association football club Olympique de Marseille for the 2017/18 and 2018/19 seasons.
- The company became a sponsor of esports organisation Team Vitality in 2018.
Orange is the sole brand used in the marketing of the company's mobile offers; the Itineris, Ola and Mobicarte brands have been combined since 2001, and Mobicarte became a special prepaid calling offer. As of 31 December 2010, Orange has 150mn mobile customers worldwide, 17.9% of whom are in France. Orange France is the leading mobile telecommunications operator in France, with a market share of 45.38% as of 2 November 2009.
The company also took over the landline and Internet businesses of France Telecom and Wanadoo in 2006. Since then, Orange is the sole brand of France Telecom for landline and Internet services worldwide, with a few exceptions, such as Mobistar in Belgium and TPSA in Poland. Orange's triple-play broadband Internet offers are supplied through the Livebox. As of 31 December 2010, Orange has 13.7mn broadband ADSL customers worldwide, 67% of whom are in France40.