Jun 1, 2021

Italy greenlights Vodafone-Huawei 5G deal

huawei
Vodafone
5G
Italy
3 min
Vodafone Italy has secured provisional approval from the Italian government to use Huawei equipment in its 5G network. 

The Italian government, under the leadership of Prime Minister Mario Draghi, has provisionally approved a deal between Vodafone Italy and Huawei. Under the terms of the deal, Vodafone Italy will be allowed to buy 5G network infrastructure equipment from the Chinese tech giant for use in its radio access network (RAN). 

The announcement represents a rare win for Huawei’s 5G equipment business, which - along with its smartphone division - has faced prolonged supply chain and regulatory issues thanks to the company’s position on the US blacklist. The US’ ban on Huawei and its products has extended to its allies, including the UK

In April, the Romanian government also signed into law a new bill that effectively bans Huawei, and other Chinese firms dubbed a security risk, from participating in the buildout of its 5G network. 

While the green light from Rome for Huawei to supply Vodafone Italy with 5G components, the company is still facing increasingly strict regulation in Italy. Constraints, including restrictions on Huawei intervening remotely to repair damaged equipment and what reporters at Reuters have called “an extremely high security threshold”, have grown increasingly stringent over the past year. 

Nevertheless, Huawei has yet to be fully ejected from Italy’s telecom sector, and today’s announcement could be a sign that the regulatory tide is beginning to turn for the beleaguered Chinese firm. 

The previous Italian administration, led by Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte, killed a deal between Huawei and telecom group FastWeb back in October. Now, things may be about to change. 

Telecom Italia announced in April that it plans to drop Huawei as a 5G network supplier, opting instead to partner with Swedish firm Ericsson. However, Italy's third-largest operator (after Telecom Italia and Vodafone Italy) WindTre, continues to work with Huawei's fellow Chinese firm ZTE - a partnership which has been going strong since 2016, and helped WindTre deliver Italy's largest 5G network as of late last year. 

The US government continues to lobby vigorously against Huawei and other Chinese tech firms suspected of turning over sensitive information to the PRC government like ZTE. Huawei is locked in a series of protracted legal battles and appeals cases across Europe to overturn these rulings, and fervently denies any ties to the Chinese government or military. 

Huawei's founder and CEO, Ren Zhengfei, said in a press conference earlier this year that he sees no end in sight for Huawei's position on the US blacklist. “I won't say it's impossible, but it's extremely unlikely. We basically aren't considering it a possibility,” he said, addressing the press at an event celebrating the opening of Huawei’s new Intelligent Mining Innovation Lab in Taiyuan. He added that Huawei would continue to focus on other revenue streams, such as its cloud business, IP royalties, and a new push into the automotive sector

Share article

Jun 11, 2021

ZTE Corporation drives Cellcard’s 5G ambitions for Cambodia

5G
ZTE
networks
Telcos
Scott Birch
2 min
Cambodian telco Cellcard turns to ZTE Corporation as the trusted partner to deliver 5G ambitions and boost national economy

When Cambodia’s only locally-owned telco, Cellcard, recognised the opportunity to develop 5G for the nation, it turned to global connectivity leader ZTE Corporation.

Serving a quarter of the world’s population, ZTE Corporation has been dedicated to enabling connectivity and trust since 1985, offering end-to-end product lines and integrated solutions for the telecommunications industry.

With more than 10% of annual revenue invested into research and development centres in the United States, Sweden and China, ZTE Corporation prides itself on owning more than 38,000 patents.

Now, the company has its sights set on the future, specifically the global commercial deployment of 5G and the opportunities that it brings.

Cellcard’s CEO Ian Watson is determined the telco will be the first to achieve full 5G coverage in Cambodia – in part to take advantage of the esports opportunity.

“Sixty per cent of the Cambodian population is under 30,” Watson told Mobile Magazine. “So you have this segment that can drive a lot of revenue for telcos. We realised from the research and industry trends that esports was becoming a huge phenomenon in Cambodia. So we said, what can we do to bring this to the youth? And the answer is in the network: consistency, low latency. It’s not just about the price: it’s about the consistency, quality and everything else.”

Cellcard, part of the Royal Group of Companies, signed a deal with ZTE Corporation for the introduction of 5G and increase of 4G coverage and capacity across Cambodia at the end of 2020.

The agreement cemented plans for the rolling out of 5G as well as evolving its 4G LTE coverage and quality – a significant financial investment that will position Cambodia as one of the leading nations in the region for 5G adoption.

This transformation of the ICT sector will directly impact citizens’ lives through technologies such as IoT, Big Data, AI, and AR to help drive a strong Cambodian economy.

 

Share article